What do they do?
Interior Designers plan, design and coordinate the creation or renovation of spaces to live or work in. They incorporate individual clients’ tastes, as well as functional purpose, into their designs (and budgets), using elements of design, decoration, safety, traffic flow, building structure, building codes, ergonomics, spatial concepts, and psychology to complete a project.
Interior designers may be self-employed or work for design and architectural firms. Collaborating with architects, builders, cabinet makers and other tradespeople, engineers and design consultants. Fields of specialisation include commercial interior design, industrial design, environmentally-friendly and ergonomic design, as well as film set design and construction.
If you love decorating rooms and positioning furniture, have a great eye for detail, colour and spatial arrangements. A career in interior design could be perfect for you.
- Meeting with clients, architects and tradespeople to discuss the needs of the client
- Developing designs that meet the brief, are functional, appealing and appropriate for the space
- Incorporate building safety, planning, and other legal requirements
- Use design software to create models and visuals
- Prepare and administer tenders and contract documents
- Research and prepare plans, diagrams and sketches for interior constructions, materials, finishes, lighting and furnishing
- Select suppliers for materials and labour
- Estimate costs and submit quotes for client approval
- Inspect and supervise on-going work to ensure quality and safety standards, costs and deadlines are met
- Design exhibitions, commercial display stands or stage, film and television production sets.
- People person
- Excellent communication skills, especially listening
- Creative and artistic
- Good at problem-solving and lateral thinking
- Work well independently and as part of a team
- Aptitude for technical drawing and illustration
- Spatial planning
- Project management
- Use of design software (e.g. AUTOCAD)
A degree from university or recognised interior design institution in applied design, interior design, interior architecture or spatial design, (ensure the course covers documentation).
A TAFE Diploma in Interior Design and Decoration in conjunction with a TAFE Building and Drafting course.
To get into these courses you may need to a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education with English and mathematics.
You may also be required to attend an interview and submit a portfolio of design work.
Average salary average interior designer salary is AU$60,060 per year, excluding bonuses. (Source: Joboutlook.gov.au)
Job growth in this area is strong (source: Joboutlook.gov.au)